Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Nike Was On To Something...

So at 7:40 this morning I'm standing outside my door, trying to balance my laptop, purse, smoothie, water bottle and bookbag in a way so that I can still manipulate my keys enough to lock my door, and I'm already thinking "This is going to be a loooonnnngg day." As I walk down the stairs, I mentally catalogue all the things I have to remember to do: copy the study aid my classmate let my borrow [to the chagrin of the publisher], draft my main points and "umbrella" section due for LSVII tomorrow, finish my reading for Civ Pro tonight, go to the gym -- do I have my gym clothes? Oh, yeah, there from yesterday since I skipped it last night, so I HAVE to go tonight -- walk my dog, etc. And I think, "How am I going to do it all?" I sigh and answer myself, mentally, of course, "I guess I'll just do it." PAUSE ... A lightbulb goes off in my head (and some cash register in Nike headquarters chimed, I'm sure). "Aha!! THAT's where 'they' got it from." Someone, somewhere, some time ago looked in the face of some immensely daunting task, wondered desperately how in heaven's name she/he could get through it and thought "I'll just do it." And a millionaire was born.

I'm in my third week of my new health regimen; I've been pretty good and disciplined. But the scale doesn't want to cooperate. I feel GREAT. I've been functioning on 5-6 hours of sleep a night and despite my incessant griping and my afternoon crash yesterday (which I solved with 5 Hour Energy, my new best friend!), I'm doing pretty okay. Except the scale doesn't want to cooperate. And though I know I shouldn't be so numbers focused, I can't help it. It's really the only concrete measure of success ... or failure. :-( So, I'm taking a page from Blah-blah-blah Blagojevich's book and boycotting my scale. It's a way to focus on the other benefits of working out and trying to be health conscious, yada yada yada. So, my oath is this: I WILL NOT WEIGH MYSELF FOR ___ (I haven't figured out for how long yet) I'm going to start with getting through this week. Maybe it would help if I throw it off the balcony. Just a thought.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hear you, finding time is a bear! But exercising actually increases your energy, which is why you're being able to subsist on 5 hours of sleep and tankards of caffeine! (lol) PS: Blogojevich is a nutcase. But he amuses me. Hence, that's his reason for being in this world.