Wednesday, March 08, 2006

What's Happening To Me?!

It's confession time: I like working out! Rather than looking forward to the day I can take off, I find myself experiencing the need to go. Last year, when I first started walking, I would get on the treadmill and huff and puff for an hour and I got sooo bored. I came to dread it: I would get dressed in sweats and mill about the house for hours finding every excuse not to jump onto the treadmill. But now, it doesn't seem like a chore anymore. I mean, with the walkman and my dog it's more like an after dinner stroll (at 3mph); when I view it that way, there's no dreading it and, therefore, no desire to take a day off. (OK, maybe only the walking doesn't seem like chore. I certainly don't look forward to MaDonna's 10 minutes of hell--which, by the way, I can do everything now except the floor crunches. She's a beast!! But I can get through ALL of the squats, which is a definite improvement.)
Also, I've been trying to increase the amount of upperbody and abdominal exercises I'm doing. This past week I added about 80-100 leg lifts (4 sets of 20 or 25 reps: a set in the morning, one before and after my evening walk and one before I go to bed). I've also been using Pilates resistance bands to work my upper body. Because of my blod clotting issues, I can't think about having surgery to "nip" and "tuck" excess skin when I reach my goal, so I figure I have to do as much toning as I can along the way.
Part of me worries that this newfound enthusiasm will be fleeting, but then I remember that one of the biggest detriments to my success is dwelling on my past failures. THIS WILL NOT BE ONE OF THOSE TIMES!!!! I am a different person than I was then; I have a different perspective and handle on things. I know I can do this.

No comments: